About TLC LIVE
TLC LIVE is the online tutoring solution from TLC Education Group. Started by respected teachers, TLC has been developing its education solutions for over 7 years and continues to grow.
My wife and I founded TLC Education Group in 2003. The business started in fixed locations and TLC Education Group was the first private tutoring company to have all year round centres located in state schools, the first being in Samuel Ward Academy in Haverhill Suffolk an Ofsted rated outstanding school.
In 2012, using the massive bespoke content written and trialled in the centres, TLC LIVE was born being the online version of the fixed location business. This allowed TLC to reach customers, both business (schools) and consumers (parents) across the country and beyond. TLC LIVE is now being used by many dozens of schools in the UK delivering 1000’s of intervention sessions a week.
In 2012 TLC Education Group sold a minority stake to raise finance, 1886 Investment Ltd being one of the investors, to continue its development and to secure its position as one of the leading online tutoring companies. This investment has enabled TLC LIVE to grow its international business with clients in the UAE, Bahrain, South Africa and Saudi Arabia to mention just a few.
We are committed to providing a rigorous but enjoyable educational experience using only qualified teachers and following our bespoke content.
I look forward to welcoming you to our growing number of schools and private students.
Simon Barnes: Chief Executive Officer
• B.Ed. Exeter University
• 1981-1988: Director of Studies, EF Language Schools Cambridge
• 1988-1992: Principal with responsibilities for London, Oxford and Dublin Language Schools owned by Aspect
• 1992-1999: Business Development Manager Sylvan Learning. Responsibly for Education Programmes in UAE, Italy and France
• 1992-2002: Operations Director, Sylvan Learning Centres. Setting up tutoring business in UK and France
• Opened own Tutoring business (TLC) during 2003
Manda Barnes: Curriculum Development Director
• B.Ed. Exeter University
• Studied Dance for one year at the world renowned ‘Laban Centre’
• Manda started her career in teaching working at various schools and with many different age groups in both primary and middle schools.
• In 2004 she stopped working in schools to run a franchise tutoring business. During this time she developed her own education programme with a view to starting her own company, TLC Education Group, which she did in 2009.
• Her software programme has been key in the development of TLC and it continues to evolve under her guidance.
Richard Last, Chairman (Non-Executive)
• Is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
• Chairman and non-executive Director of Arcontech Group plc (financial software business
listed on AIM)
• Chairman and non-executive Director of British Smaller Companies VCT2 plc (YFM Equity Partners)
• Non-executive Director of Lighthouse Group plc and Corero Group plc (both listed on AIM)
• Director and shareholder of a number of private companies including the IT company APD Communications Limited.
• Non-executive Chairman of CSE Global UK Limited (a subsidiary of a Singapore Stock Exchange listed Company)
• He was formerly Chairman of Xpertise Group plc , an IT training company
John Picknett, Non Executive Director
• Bsc (Econ) Cardiff University
• Associate Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA)
• Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
• Managing Director of 1886 Investments Limited
• Chairman of Summit Education Pty, South Africa
• Director of Globals ITeS Pty, India
• Director of Little Travel Bug (UK), trading as Oddizzi
• Extensive in international operational management and CFO roles in manufacturing, marketing, FMCG, motor and now education industries (career spanning BP, Grand Metropolitan – now Diageo – and Mercedez Benz.